Monday, December 1, 2008

Question of the Day #26

All good things must come to end. (But really? Must they? Or is that a whole other subject?) So it's time to head back to Cali. And I am one lucky girl because Dad took me to the bookstore yesterday. (Don't worry, I didn't freak Dad out with my lust for books. I controlled myself and only picked out two.)

The first of which I am seriously sucked into. BECOMING CHLOE by Catherine Ryan Hyde is like a like journey to "Beautiful" with Jerry Spinelli's Stargirl. Sort of. Anyway, I'm about halfway through and I can't wait to get on the plane and burn through the rest. (I'll probably finish before we fly over Texas.)

The second half of my trip will be dedicated to BURNED by the fabulous Ellen Hopkins. Last year, I was fortunate enough to attend the Big Sur Children's Writing Workshop and I had a one on one with Ellen Hopkins. She had read and written out comments on the first 15 pages of my novel and I have to admit, I was a bit starstruck. Simply amazed that I was sitting there, chatting with this amazing storyteller. Plus, she taught me a lot.

So that's what's on my reading list for today. What are you reading? And must all good things really come to an end?

xoxo,
Suzanne

8 comments:

  1. Well, I'm asking for Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts from santa. The only problem is it's not a light read (surprising, huh?) and I'm having a hard time concentrating on anything right now. I think I need something a little less heavy. I'll be interested in all the responses today. Thanks for the Becoming Chloe tip. I'll check it out!

    I think good things roll into other good things. Sometime you just need to look a little harder to find the good stuff. Sappy, yes, but I'm trying to remain positive in these last couple of weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm re-reading Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food because I enjoyed it so much the first time around.

    ...and just like the re-read: No! Good things don't have to end! Time moves on, we have our memories, and create new good things. ...and if you believe in an afterworld -- well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got Ellen Hopkins?!!! That is sooooo cool!!!! I want to go to that conference so bad. Another friend of mine is going to the one they're having next weekend.

    But books...let's see. I'm kind of between reads right now, which is really strange for me. Life has just been so busy lately, plus the bummer of not being able to afford going to the bookstore. I need to go to the library ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azcaban with my son now, and I started reading Chelsea Handler's Are You There Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea (but it is overdue and is on a waiting list so I have to turn it back in!). I may also read Sign of the Beaver as my son has to read it for school, and I am interested to see how it is...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My reading is a bit schizo. I just finished a YA novel, Ghost Medicine, by an author I met last month, Andrew Smith. I'm reading Inkheart with my son, rereading The Misadventures of Benjamin Bartholomew Piff on my own (researching voice and plot) and I'm also enjoying The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs. I've been wanting to read Becoming Chloe so I'm glad to hear that it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooohh, I forgot to say I almost went to the Big Sur conference last year. How funny that we almost met :) Hopefully I'll get to go this year. Good to hear that it was worthwhile for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm clearly the shallowest reader here. Thankfully this question was asked when I don't have to completely out myself. Just this afternoon I started reading The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly. As for do all good things need to come to and end? I really like what lisa d said.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LD - Shantaram has one of the best openings I've ever read. Nice choice, but dude, heavy read! And your theory on good things rolling into good things is a pretty darn good theory.

    Ara - Yes! I got Ellen Hopkins! It was amazing. Tell your friend to introduce herself to Nancy Lamb at Big Sur (and to tell her that I sent her). Nancy is a genius. An amazing writer, editor and friend. I was stuck in revision purgatory and she instructed me on exactly how to get out. For great writing tips, visit her website www.nancylamb.com

    And Sudabaki - there's not a shallow thing about you.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.