Saturday, September 18, 2010

Question of the Day #691

I'd like to do a little market research regarding market research.

I just filled out an online survey about my last travel experience. It took about 10 minutes and was fairly painless. But I did wonder whether or not my "additional comments" section, where I typed in what annoyed me, would actually be read and considered.

And because I questioned whether or not my input would actually impact the company's processes and / or services, I questioned why I was actually spending 10 minutes on the survey. Unlike my supermarket, which invites shoppers to fill out a survey and then enters them in a drawing for a $100 gift card, this company offered me nothing for my time.

Which gave me pause. I mean, do I have get something in order to give my feedback?

Hmm.

So, how do you feel about surveys? Do you fill them out?

xoxo,
Suzanne

4 comments:

  1. I don't complete surveys, which is funny considering my education is in advertising, and I used to create market surveys. More often than not these days I feel that surveys are ploys to personal information, that then get sold to other marketers.

    Days after my daughter was born, a marketer called me, congratulating me on the birth of my child. I was mortified, how did they know this about me? I suspect someone who purchased a gift for me had entered my name in a draw or something. I lied to the person and told them I had no children. It seemed like such an invasion of my privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny because we just bought a new washer and dryer and I had to complete a form for the warranty. Half way through I found myself ready to throw the thing out because of questions like: Do you own or rent your home? What is your household salary range? Do you have children? Is so, how many and what are their ages?

    THEN I noticed on the bottom in tiny, itty-bitty print there was an opt-out clause. If you didn't happen to read the clause your information was given to marketers.

    Grrrr...

    So I skipped most of the questions, checked the opt-out box and gave them my "spam" email address. I keep this oh so ancient email address of mine solely for this purpose. I check it about twice a year and delete everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait. I got carried away with Simply V.'s wonderful comment and didn't answer the question at all. Oops.

    You want my feedback? Give me stuff. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rarely fill out surveys. Too many of them what to know information I don't want to give so they can put me on a mailing list and send me ads.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.