Friday, September 10, 2010

Question of the Day #683

"Mommy, where does ice cream come from?" I asked repeatedly, only about three summers ago, until my mother finally took me to Ben and Jerry's for a factory tour.

At the factory, we watched a moo-vie about how Ben and Jerry took a simple idea and turned it into a thriving business. Then we got to stand over the production room and watch as pints were filled with crunchy, fruity, chocolaty goodness. We learned about the Testers, whose job is to taste Ben and Jerry's creations all day long.

While I seriously contemplated a career change, I noticed that every once in a while a pint was chopped in half and someone examined it to make sure that the ice cream to chunky goodness ratio was on target.

The whole thing was fascinating. So, for the last few days I've been following my mother around asking, "Mommy, where does milk come from?"

She got the hint. Today we're going to visit a dairy farm and I'm super excited to peek at the inner workings of the dairy industry.

What inner machine have you had the privilege of learning about?

xoxo,
Suzanne

11 comments:

  1. How many pharmaceuticals are manufactured. Each one is different and so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know all about paper. And dairy, of course;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sig Sauer p229, mac 90, Para ordanance 45, Hk ump45,Glock 19, 1911 45.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a dairy farm. Too bad you don't live near by. You could come to ours. Have fun, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Part of what I absolutely LOVE about my job, is that I get to learn about new subjects all the time. I have learned the ins and outs of carpet and textile manufacturing, aviation fuels, military technologies, airport screening, communicating, weapons, hiring practices, government accounting frameworks, federal policing issues, risk management, gender equality, food safety, universal remotes, nursing support in remote locations, meteorology, the census, mail sorting, micronutrient deficiencies, banking software...and on, and on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear, but I've visited quite a few breweries. They each have their own unique process that they swear by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inner Machine - Fan club of the GGD's. Sounds like you know someone...Getting my inner machine sparked into chemistry and pharma...Jersey's Industry...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned all about tequila in Jalisco Mexico! I was pregnant but my hub had a fantastic time sampling anything and everything they produced. Well, we brought a bottle home and celebrated the birth of our little girl with the best bottle of tequila ever! Olé!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the Ben & Jerry's tour! And the VT Teddy Bear Factory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite was going on a behind-the-scenes San Diego Zoo tour when I was in elementary school. Not sure if they still do it, but they used to feed the flamingoes red dye in their food to make them pink.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting comment. We learned in Tanzania that the color of the flamingoes differs according to their diet. Has something to do with aquaius bacteria or something? The more of this stuff they eat the darker pink/red they become.
    More proof of what we are is what we eat.
    AUGH!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.