Saturday, January 24, 2009

Question of the Day #80

Oh how I love satellite radio. 60's, 70's, 80's, alt country, blues, aternative rock, whatever you want - you got it.

So the other night, I was driving and CSNY's "Southern Cross" came on. I was immediately transported to a dark room on a cold winter night at P's house. I was 15 years old, immersed in a semi secret society, where three other girlfriends and I were repeatedly invited to tiny parties with a group of eternally stoned, yet beautiful, soccer boys. We'd huddle down, sip stolen Bud Light from cans and smoke and listen to music late at night, after making curfew and sneaking back out.

I also remember the first time I heard the scratchy picking in Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here," and how it sent chills through me. And how at that moment, everything that mattered in the world seemed to be right there, in that dark, cold room.

What songs send you right back to being a teenager?

xoxo,
Suzanne

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything by "Ben Folds Five." It was my ultimate favorite band back then and all of my dorky friends and I would dance around to their albums at parties. I went to see them in concert a bunch of times and they were always excellent. I guess it's appropriate that they disbanded a year or so after I graduated... like they only existed for us and our strange entertainment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now I know what that little button in the corner is for . . . I accidentally deleted my comment. Oops!! Here it is again.

    Rock 'n Roll High School - The Ramones

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Pour Some Sugar on Me" by Def Leppard...and Winger! (I was in love with Kip Winger!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got another one. Don Henley's Boys of Summer just came on. I go to a totally different place every time I hear it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in Black by ACDC -- I can remember someone blasting it from their car and a group of us dancing before school started. It felt like an episode of "Fame," only with better music :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is actually a hard one for me. I've been thinking about it all day. The problem is that with satellite radio I hear songs from the 70's and 80's all the time. While it hasn't diminished my love of that music it's lessened it's ability to magically transport me. That, and it's a longer journey these days. That said, Take My Breath Away by Berlin usually does the trick. There's a story behind that one and it's not suitable to tell here. If you don't already know it, remind me to tell you next time I see you or ask H.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's this one Dead or Alive song that makes me laugh, the whole Depeche Mode Black Celebration album will make me cry if I let it, and any song from the Cure's Head on the Door and Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me albums makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I couldn't live without satellite radio. This morning I rocked out to Seventeen by Winger.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Home Sweet Home, Motley Crue
    Tears Are Falling, Kiss
    anything from Joshua Tree, U2

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.