Thursday, March 10, 2011

Question of the Day #863

Just the other day, I got a lovely letter. It said,

Dear S,

I miss you.

Love,
B

The letter was recorded on my voicemail, so it wasn't exactly pen on paper, but the format was seriously cute. This, of course, got me thinking about letters. As a kid, I remember the joy of finding an envelope with my name etched on it in the mail pile then running upstairs to read and write back.

In my early 20's, my friend T had a very boring job, so to pass the time, she wrote me a letter every day. Envelopes bearing her perfect cursive arrived daily among my roommates' bills.

But the best letters were from my Granny. I still have many of them. Short scribbles of love. Most of them thanks for something I sent her, knowing that a letter could brighten any dark mailbox.

This morning, I found a site called Letters From Lauren, written by a girl who loves letters too. She writes to Aunt Jemima, her grandmother (who she never met), and The Yogurt Man.

I admire Lauren's throwback to letter writing.

So, if you were to write a letter to someone, who would it be and what would it say?

xoxo,
Suzanne

8 comments:

  1. I'd write to my parents whom I miss, telling them I love them, that I'm ever so thankful they were my parents and that they decided to keep me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love letter writing and sending people cards in the mail. I just wanted to share my enthusiasm for the old-school form of communication.

    I've wanted to write a letter to my Uncle Jim who I'm estranged with, but I don't what to say. It lurks in the back of my mind as unfinished business. I just don't know what to say or where the healing is. So that's one letter unwritten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really into letter writing in the late 70s and all through the 80s. At one time I wrote to over 100 pen pals from all over the world. It was crazy, but fun. Some of those old pen pals are still friends today. Amazing!

    Not sure who I'd write to today, maybe my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only ever sent one letter in my entire life. It was to Carrie Fisher and she sent me back a signed photo which I've since lost a long time ago. If I were to send another letter, it'd probably be to her just to say hi and tell this story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid my favourite cousin, W., and I wrote to each other--sporadically. I received a letter from him once complaining about how long it had been since I had written to him. In the margin his mom added this comment: "That's the pot calling the kettle black!"

    Just yesterday I wrote a real snail mail letter to one of my dearest friends. I enclosed two recent pictures and sent it off with lots of love and warm feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear S,

    I love writing letters but don't do it nearly as often as I should. The last handwritten letters I sent were Thank You notes for my daughter's birthday. It's so much easier to send an e-mail or a Facebook message and we seem to forget the feeling of opening our mailbox and finding a personal note. I love that feeling.

    Check your mailbox in a few days...

    Love,
    B

    ReplyDelete
  7. I DO write letters! Not long ones, but every now and then I get on a tear. Mostly I write to my friends who live far away and NEED things in their mailboxes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the days before email existed (yes, I'm old) my best friend moved away and we wrote long letters every week. Now, a couple of times a year we send a really long, newsy letter. I just mailed a 5 page letter to her yesterday.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.