Saturday, March 5, 2011

Question of the Day #858

Last Sunday, H and I went to breakfast. We ordered our food and two Diet Cokes. A lot of people drink coffee. We drink Diet Coke in the morning.

After we demolished our eggs, the waitress came by.

"Can I get you anything else?" she asked.

"I'd love another Diet Coke," said H.

"Me too, please," I said.

The waitress looked at each of us, kind of checking us out. Then she said, "I'm sorry, but do you two know that the sweetener in Diet Coke turns to formaldehyde in your bodies?"

H and I stared at her.

"I'm not lying. You can look it up," she said.

After a moment, she walked away with our empty glasses.

"Well, that's good news. I guess I'll live longer because my organs will be pickled," H said.

"Exactly," I said.

The waitress brought our glasses back, filled with Diet Coke.

"Thank you," H and I said.

"Did I tell you that someone came to the door yesterday and asked if I've been reading my bible?" I said.

"Seriously?" H asked.

"Yep. What's with people trying to tell me what to do?" I asked.

"No idea." H took a sip of her Diet Coke.

Now, we're not dummies. We realize Diet Coke is not good for us. And if people read the Bible once in a while, perhaps the world would be a friendlier place. But you can't come to my front door and tell me what I should do. Just like I can't follow people around the supermarket and take all the conventional fruits out of their shopping carts, explain why all the pesticides are eventually going to give them cancer and replace those fruits with organics.

It's none of my business, right? How do you feel when a stranger tells you what you should or shouldn't do?

xoxo,
Suzanne

9 comments:

  1. This was a first for me.
    Last week while helping out with my granddaughters, I took S to Wegman's. Had a lovely shopping time with her. The nice thing about W is that they have parking spaces for mother and small children close to the store. When we returned to the car, after putting S in her car seat, I put the cart next to the front of the car and the side curb, as out of the way as possible. A woman accosted me! "Is it TOO far for you to walk to put your cart away? I just can't understand why YOU people don't do the right thing!!!" I replied, "I have a toddler in the car and I don't want to leave her."
    She said, Oh you're just LAZY. Admit it!"
    Holy Cow!
    I couldn't believe her. Normally I return the cart to it's proper place. I usually help a woman with small child with doors or carts. I have been known to pick up litter in a parking lot. Ugh! I thought of a number of replies after she was gone.
    I wanted to tell HER what to do ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes E, that's awful! People are nuts and really need to mind their own business most of the time. I hate how cynical that sounds but SHEESH! We all want to do what's best for our bodies, our kids, our planet, our spirituality, mankind, etc.. I'd like to think that most people do what's right and appropriate for themselves & their families but what's right for one is not necessarily right for another. This is a great question and I could go on and on and open lots of cans with this one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty bold of a waitress to sugggest you not buy the product of the business that's paying her...Wonder how long she'll last.

    That said, a part of me has to admire her for her passion, misplaced as it may be. I'm not sure how I'd respond if it happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's annoying as hell. Mind your own F'ing business. And I make sure to tell the offender that. *End of rant.* Apologies for my JerZ attitude. <3

    BTW - Who the heck is the waitress to tell you what to order? She should work somewhere that doesn't sell such "poison." I am sure the owner of the restaurant would not be happy about that interaction! I would die without diet coke and fresca sodas and I don't care if you judge me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned about 7 years ago to focus on me and what I am doing. Not to lecture others it doesnt help anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Generally annoyed. Except when I'm lost and they're offering directions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, unsolicited advice rarely goes over well. I know we often are trying to be helpful, but the general rule is that if someone doesn't directly ask for advice or input, don't offer it.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.