Monday, June 29, 2009

Question of the Day #236

Saturday morning, at 5:45, N climbed out of bed and began to make dinner.

That's right, dinner.

N is a BBQ enthusiast. He's judged competitions and just purchased a smoker. And Saturday was brisket day. He began by arranging coals, hickory and pecan chunks in the smoker.


He applied his favorite rub to the brisket and put it on the smoker.

There were all sorts of gauges used to chart the smoker's temperature and the meat's temperature, not to mention the outdoor temperature. For the following 14 hours, he dilligently assessed and adjusted.

Meanwhile, I eventually woke up, went to work, came home, enjoyed some cocktails on the deck with friends and co-eaters, while N worked at perfecting dinner.

And perfect, he did. It was delicious.

But it wasn't just about the food, it was about figuring out how to make it well - unraveling the secrets to the right temperature, timing, smoking, rubbing and basting. So that he not only achieved a great end result, but created a solid process along the way.

What hobby or activity have you perfected a process for?

xoxo,
Suzanne

10 comments:

  1. No answer to the question, but suddenly I'm very hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a mean breakfast sandwich - ummm good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, do you have any leftovers? Because that meat looked seriously good.

    But to answer your question, I'm a pretty practiced baker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't say I have perfected anything, but the fun is in the trying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids like my pancakes better than any restaurant. But they aren't nearly as much work as that bbq--that guy's serious about bbq!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seem to have perfected procrastination...that and the 40 second cheese & broccoli quesadilla.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm. Trying to come up with an answer to this question, but am distracted by sudden rumbling of tummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just hungry from seeing your pictures! Oh my goodness.....!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow -- 14 hours -- that's determination!

    I don't think I've really perfected any hobby or activity, except maybe a few of my crock-pot recipes. I'm pretty good at sense of direction though and can usually find my way around places. My husband used to work for an ambulance and as a cop, so he relies heavily on maps.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.