Saturday, February 14, 2009

Question of the Day #101

Once, back around 1995, when I lived with 10 girls, sharing two craftsman bungalows and a pool in Hollywood, we had a "Black Friday" party.

Looking back, there was no reason why 10 20-something hot chicks in one of the most famous cities in the world should have had such disdain for Valentine's Day, but as we piled our exes' old tee shirts, boxers, pictures and gifts in the driveway and set them on fire, we must have come across as a wee bit bitter.

Which is hilarious, because there had to be 30 guys at that party. It's not like there weren't any Valentinian prospects hovering just a few feet away from the stench of scorched memories.

Now, the idea of throwing an anti-Valentine's day party or a "Black Saturday" party seems counterintuitive. I mean, what's wrong with love? It's nice to love and be loved, right? So I'm embracing Valentine's Day in all of my singleness.

I'm cooking dinner for friends tonight and then heading out to see a band. And I don't pan on burning a thing.

How do you or don't you celebrate Valentine's Day?

xoxo,
Suzanne

9 comments:

  1. My husband is working all day and the kids and I are cleaning the house. How romantic is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a sitter for the kids, which is nice, but we're broke, so our whole date budget is going toward the sitter. We'll probably pack some food and head for the beach. Gotta love the beautiful AND free things in life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I listened quietly as my loved ones found their surprises this morning, and then I feel back to sleep for several hours. When I got up coffee and breakfast were made for me. I ran some errands and submitted my school assignment. Had a nap in the aft. Had a glass of wine while cooking dinner for the first time since I became ill 4 weeks ago. Ending the evening by snuggling with my big and little sweeties.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be fell back to sleep which did feel good. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I helped a friend move in and my husband is working tonight. Not to romantic at all. And we're too poor to do anything that costs money, so it'll just be some snuggle time on the couch with a movie, I suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black friday sounds hysterical to me!!Wish I had had that vent a LONG time ago!
    Anyway, "we" had a long walk on the trails (2 hours) beautiful day, clear, crisp picture postcard day. Just got back from "clubbing" and a fantastic meal. (someone was stuck off our main road and W and another person towed him out) Happy VD Day to him and his sig!! all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents called last night to sing happy birthday to my baby girl and, while we were listening on the phone, they walked through the front door! What a wonderful surprise & totally unexpected. We had a lovely family Valentine's Day dinner with all my sisters and their families. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stella and I got some construction paper and cut out a million hearts : big, little, red, pink, purple, white. We put them all over the windows, the doors and the walls. (I kind of feel like that guy who lived in the hills and painted hearts all over his house. Do you remember him?) We also had a silly Valentine's Day dance party and had breakfast for dinner. Steve and I are enjoying a few cocktails at home tonight and I plan on hitting the hay soon. A great day!
    Happy birthday to your snuggle bunny, Beck!
    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. V-day is our anniversary, but we never do much to celebrate. The restaurants are usually too buys and the prices are crazy. This year we're celebrating by going to Vegas, just not on our actual anniversary.

    Your party sounded like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.