Saturday, January 29, 2011

Question of the Day #823

Yesterday, yellow police tape roped off the parking garage next to the office I work in. I drove past it, trying to figure out what to do and saw that the whole block was wrapped in yellow caution tape. I parked a few streets down and called a coworker.

"Yeah, apparently a suspicious package was found," she said.

"Wow. Well what should I do?" I asked.

"A couple of the girls are at Starbucks," she said.

"I'll go over there and wait with them," I replied.

I walked to the Starbucks across the street from the office. An officer stopped me at the door.

"You can't go in there. We're about to evacuate the building," he said.

"Wow. Really? So, I work in an office across the street. Does this mean I should go home today?" I asked.

"Yes, go home," the officer said.

So I went home.

Turns out, a movie prop that looked like a fake bomb had been found in a nearby dumpster that morning. What appeared to be sticks of dynamite were taped together, complete with wires.

Only in LA.

What's the weirdest reason why you ever got to skip work?

xoxo,
Suzanne

8 comments:

  1. Skip work??? Normally doesn't happen, so I guess the wierdest would be when I was off for 9 weeks when I ripped my Achiles (playing hopscotch)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only in LA? Suspicious packages are investigated every day in NY! But I suppose they aren't movie props so good point there. :-)

    Weirdest reason to skip work would unfortunately be terrorist attacks on NY and our office was closed for several days after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...what a crazy excuse...It's a good thing everyone was sent home, because it sounds a little like fiction.....

    BTW, I'm glad it wasn't real. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that's wild. I wonder how many times movie props have caused an uproar. Might make a good book!

    My weird work story kept me in my office instead of out of it. I tried to leave for lunch and when I started to push open the glass doors I saw a bunch of cops crouched, weapons drawn all around the front of the building. I backed inside quickly. I'm just glad I didn't walk out into the middle of the manhunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's wild. Funny how one little item can mess up so many people's routines and schedules.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crazy! I bet the person respoinsible for the prop was bawled out. An expensive mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mine is 9/11 too. I was living in LA at the time but working for a trust company that had an office in the World Trade Center. We were closed for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! That's hilarious!
    School got called often for those fake bomb threats shortly after Columbine. You'd think with caller ID that wouldn't be a problem, right?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.