Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Question of the Day #819


A few months ago, my friend, D, and I were playing Scrabble when I felt around the box for my list of acceptable two letter words.

"What is that?" D asked.

"It's a list of two letter words."

"You can do that!" His eyes widened.

"Can't do what?"

"Use a list of acceptable words. That's cheating!"

"Oh c'mon, are you serious?" I asked.

"Of course I'm serious. That's it! I'm calling The Scrabble Commission!" He threw his hands up as his face broke into a big smile.

We burst out laughing. And I continued to giggle over "The Scrabble Commission" for hours.

Since then, I did learn that there is a National Scrabble Association and a whole lot of debate around using a list of two letter words. During other games, some opponents have been equally offended by the use of such an aid. But just a few days ago, when J and I played and I found that my two letter word list was missing, (Perhaps confiscated by The Scrabble Commission?) she told me to go, "Print that sucker up."

So, how do you feel about using an acceptable two letter word list while playing Scrabble? Do you stick to all the serious rules or bend them just a little?

xoxo,
Suzanne

7 comments:

  1. The Onyx Edition Scrabble dictionary is kept with the game and I'm not afraid to use it! Now let me think--is it "ti" or "te" that's a word???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some relatives who were seriously into Scrabble and they used the Scrabble dictionary. At my house no one else really likes the game...I'd be happy if they just agreed to play once in a while, with or without the two letter word list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I was never allowed to use a dictionary or list when I played. How come it's allowed for two-letter words?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I avoid these issues by not playing Scrabble, ever. Serious Scrabble players get all hot and bothered (due to pressure from The Commission?) so I avoid the game altogether. I just play it on my iPhone now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't played scrabble in years, other than the kids version, in which the words are printed on the board and you can only put two letters down at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hubby and I play our own modified version, to heck with the rules and the Scrabble Commission! (Please don't turn us in...) Hence things like DVD, VCR, IOU, PHD, etc. appear on the board.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Scrabble and since I'm the only one who can spell worth a darn, that works for me. I might need to pick up one of those books. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.