Thursday, July 30, 2009

Question of the Day #267

I was just on the phone with my friend M, who was actually saying she has too much time on her hands. (Lucky M, huh?) So I tossed out the idea of volunteering since it always makes me feel good when I do something for other people. She agreed that it was a good idea.

I've been pretty wrapped up in my Suzie Storm lately, so I haven't volunteered in a long time. But in the past, I've collected clothing to transition women from homeless shelters to the workplace, read to kids, cooked for the homeless and walked for Breast Cancer.

Each event was rewarding in its own way, but as a writer, I gotta say, reading to kids was the most fun. Volunteers go to local schools on Saturdays and parents drop their kids off. And for an hour or so, we read to the kids. Sometimes it's picture books, other times chapter books, all depending on their ages and reading levels.

They're sooo cute and enthusiastic. And anything that nurtures a love of books is a hit with me.

What kind of volunteering do you do? And if you don't, what kind of activities do you think you'd like to get involved with?

xoxo,
Suzanne

4 comments:

  1. Ah volunteering, one of the experiences I wish I had more time for. My favorite activities have been things like putting in new gardens in all sorts of areas - urban areas, habitat for humanity new houses we've fixed up, and rain gardens in rural places in west Jer-Z. I have also been a mentor/ "big sister" for kids who lost a parent in Sept 11th - this by far has been the most rewarding. I hope I've made a difference in those kids' lives. I also participate in a lot of mentoring programs at work, and although that's not volunteer per se, it's strictly optional and I really enjoy passing along my experiences to younger people in the work force. I'd LOVE to volunteer at an animal shelter but when I applied they made me commit to a schedule of 20+ hours which is just too much right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question. Before working tons of hours a week and raising a family at the same time, I used to volunteer at our church mostly with some civic projects on the side. Now I am giving my time to a senior residence in town and the Vermont arts council. I need to do more. Thanks for the prod :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I tutor homeless children, raise money and walk for cancer a few times a year, volunteer at the Special Olympics, and give blood every 8 weeks or so. I love every minute of it and am constantly looking for more ways to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done everything from painting and construction to charity fundraising, feeding people in soup kitchens and delivering turkey day baskets. But I started reading at the library even before I had kids and I still love volunteering in my children's classrooms. Being around kids always brings a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.