Thursday, April 14, 2011

Question of the Day #899

Last night, as I cooked dinner at my client's house, Rapunzel sat nearby, at her little table, coloring.

"Suzanne, I have an idea." She stood and inched toward me, careful not to cross the line between the cabinets and the forbidden stove.

"You do? What is it?" I asked.

"I think there should be streets with names of cities or countries and then all the restaurants on that street will have that kind of food. Like New Orleans Street will have beignets." Rapunzel's big brown eyes widened like she just told me the secret to becoming a princess.

"Ooo. That's a good idea. So you mean there could also be Rome Street, and on that street, all the restaurants could serve Italian food?"

"Yes!" she said.

"The street next to that could be Athens street. And there they could serve Greek Salads and fried cheese."

"Uh huh," she said as she sat down to her coloring book.

I sauteed onions and checked the potatoes in the oven.

"Suzanne," Rapunzel looked up at me.

"Yes?"

"I brought beignet mix home from New Orleans," she said.

"Wow. You did?"

The genesis of Rapunzel's genius idea had been revealed. Since their family trip to the Big Easy, she was obsessed with beignets. Regardless, I liked her idea about streets hosting restaurants representing different culinary cultures.

Not bad for a five year old.

What great idea have you heard from a kid?

xoxo,
Suzanne

10 comments:

  1. I am impressed that the 5yo knew the word beignet. I don't know what it is!
    My daughter had a great idea to Skype my hubby when he is out of town on work at dinner time so he could eat with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that long ago, my friends 4 yr old son Hayden grabbed a chocolate cupcake, turned to me & extended the cupcake saying, "t.y. you should try one of these, its really good"....he was spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really good idea!
    My sons think they should invent a laser that goes around the whole world. Not clear why, but they think it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To add a disneyland or disneyworld in the Northeast and midwest. Keep it open only April to Late Sept. My 6 year old loves those rides..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome idea!

    My son had a good one just yesterday, but I'm sitting here and for the life of me, I can't remember what it was. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE that! Adorable! Kids ideas are the best, because they're not worried about them not being feasible. Their imaginations aren't at all limited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzanne! Rapunzel is so cute and would be so proud to know that she is on this! Cool Idea, she's a smart girl! -Mackenzie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. And the question I ask myself is: "Are you smarter than a five-year-old?" and my question for the rest of you is: "What is a beignet?"

    (And thus I have answered the first question)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't even know the WORD beignet until I was in my 20s. I'm impressed! And still trying to figure out what one is. Maybe I need to make one as a learning experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When asked if the Pharaoh was Jewish,
    my five-year-old granddaughter said,
    "No, he was stubborn."

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.