Friday, November 13, 2009

Question of the Day #373


A few weeks ago, T, P, H and I had a Monday Funday on a gorgeous afternoon. As we sat on the deck enjoying the sunset (T took this picture that day), P mused about odd things - as usual.

"The pub is like the Island of Misfit Toys," he said.

"Nice," I said.

"The Island of Misfit Toys?" T looked confused.

"You know, from Rudolph," H explained.

"Huh?" T said.

"He's too young," I mumbled.

P sipped his beer, cleared his throat and began, "When we were little kids, the best Christmas movie was Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer."

"Definitely the best," I said.

"And in the movie, there was an Island of Misfit Toys. And that's where all the defective toys went, kinda like us, hanging out at the pub. There was a Jack in the Box that didn't pop out right. And a little elf who wanted to be a dentist."

"But somebody told him, 'A dentist? You can't be a dentist. You're an elf!''' I chimed in using my best animated voice.

"But he leaves the island to try an open his own dentist's office," P continued.

"Does he actually do it?" T asked.

"He does," said P.

"So perhaps there's hope for us yet," I said.

We looked sideways at each other and exploded into giggles.

What's your favorite Christmas movie?

xoxo,
Suzanne

10 comments:

  1. HA! The misfit toys is exactly how I've always described my highschool buddies and our "clique".

    Christmas Vacation with Chevy Chase is my absolute favorite Christmas movie! I tend to quote it throughout the year. :)

    A close second is White Christmas...something about the "Sisters" gig makes me laugh every time. Mind you, I've always been a fan of the "Road to.." movies - so maybe it is just the comedy pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I want to get sentimental with my childhood, "Babes In Toyland"/"March of the Wooden Soldiers" with Laurel and Hardy is it.

    "It's a Wonderful Life" is not only an awesome Christmas flick, but it's just an amazing film in general. Tears and tears for days....

    But if I want to get my giggles on, I gotta go with "Elf." I know its a newer holiday film, but it's on television nearly everyday throughout the Christmas season. And I ALWAYS turn it on... it's just so hilarious and bound to be a classic my kids will reference someday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How the Grinch Stole Christmas! I love those little Who's in Whoville! Every Christmas I sit in front of the TV and try to sing that song that nobody really knows the words to...bahoom bore ray, bahoom bore ray welcome Christmas come what may. Is it just me?

    Elf cracks me up! Love that one too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Year Without A Santa Claus - Heat Miser & Snow Miser Rock! And, P is right...the pub is totally the Island of Misfit Toys (in a very good way). Man, I miss that island. XO yo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put in a second WHITE CHRISTMAS vote.
    And I LOVE the Sisters thing too!

    Next, Miracle on 34th Street (original version)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My current favorite is Elf. It always cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Most all of the cartoons, but I also like Christmas Vacation and A Christmas Story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for directing me back here, Suzanne. Thanks for your sweet comments as well. :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.