Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Question of the Day #1,219

Last night, I watched Oprah's "The Next Chapter." In the episode, Oprah attended a Tony Robbins seminar during which he identified "Six Basic Needs":
  1. Certainty
  2. Uncertainty (the need for adventure)
  3. Love
  4. Significance
  5. Contribution
  6. Growth
He asked the audience to determine which were the two driving needs in their lives. Then he asked the audience to think about what those two needs were costing them.

For example, my driving needs are love and growth. The price of letting love drive my life is that sometimes I'll push other things aside for it. The price of growth driving my life is that a lot of times I'll be so focused on my goals that I don't see what's going on around me.

What are your two driving Basic Needs? Do they have a price?

xoxo,
Suzanne

5 comments:

  1. I think I'd go with love and certainty. Love is pretty big for me. As much as I hate it, certainty would also be big. I like to know what's going on, what's happening, etc. I'd like to switch it to significance or contribution though, that would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this point in my life, I'd say it's significance and growth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2 and 5 these days. I think. Uncertainty always has a price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say Uncertainty because I'm always seeking new experiences, but it often takes me to lands far and wide (away from family and friends) and it makes it hard to establish roots and grow with stability. The other one is Contribution, this nagging sense I need to be offering the world more, which perhaps impedes my ability to trust and enjoy the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, both giving and receiving. Does that count for two?

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.