Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Question of the Day #111

Last night, during my critique group, we reviewed the Oscars. Rated speeches, gushed about our favorite dresses and finally, discussed plastic surgery.

We talked about how living in LA can be weird. We see women at the supermarket with faces stretched so tightly that it's hard to tell what they're supposed to look like. At the gym, we'll work out next to a woman with one eye that's open way more than the other. We'll find ladies with lips that look like they've been stung by bees trying out lipstick at the makeup counter at Nordstrom.

It's an odd, odd place. Which made me wonder, how does the rest of the world feel about plastic surgery?

xoxo,
Suzanne

PS - Thanks to everyone who notified me that the comments word verification is not functioning correctly. Apparently, you're getting a "loading" error which is not loading. I got the same error when blogging on other's people sites yesterday, so I think it may be a Blogger issue. But who knows. Anyway, I just disabled the word verification in hopes that it will help. Please try again!

8 comments:

  1. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and when I was a teenager I desperately wanted to get a nose job. I HATED my nose. Of course, my parents weren't about to fork over the money for it so I had to make due.

    By the time I was old enough and had enough money, it wasn't so important anymore. I was focused on other things (husband, friends, job), living in Arizona and I was more confident in myself.

    I still don't like my nose, but I like myself the way I am and I realize that changing my nose isn't going to change who I am. So, um, no, plastic surgery is not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all for plastic surgery. I think that if it makes you feel better, more comfortable, more confident, do it. But definitely, there is a judgment call issue involved. If you think skin pulled so tight you no longer have facial features is a good look, you have poor judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the appearance of some celebrities, you'd think there's no way to know if you've gone too far until you've done just that. It makes me sad to see so many Hollywood faces wind up looking disfigured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for it, but with everything in life, moderation is key.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with H. If it makes you feel better, why not? And, while I'm so grateful for the healthy body I've been given, I've lived with this nose for almost 40 years. I'm ready for a change. For that matter, I was only blessed with the good boobs for about 20 of those 40 years and see nothing wrong with a little restoration to bring them back to their original form.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like when you can TELL someone has had plastic surgery. I probably wouldn't go under the knife myself, but later in life if there was a not invasive procedure maybe I'd do it.
    I do think it is an individual decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am ok with people wanting to look better but sometimes celeb's go too far. Case in point: Lisa Rinna. I think she poofed those lips just a bit too much. I also have a problem looking Joan Rivers in the face because I know I am actually looking at her butt. That woman has been stretched tighter than a balloon. I really think if she gets cut, her skin would roll back like a window blind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unless it's related to injury, burning, etc, I find cosmetic surgery very sad. I think one is as beautiful as one feels, and in any case beauty in a human being really shines through from the inside. Anyone who feels insecure enough to have cosmetic surgery obviously doesn't feel beautiful. Sad. Coz they are.

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy! Please join our game of Questions.